Sunday, July 12, 2015

Remembrances of Red Bird Mission

This week at Red Bird was full of many new experiences for me. It was my first mission trip, and on it I got to complete roofing for the first time, install linoleum for the first time, and so many other things. I loved this week so much, and I feel so blessed that I had the opportunity to help the wonderful family we did. The family we served was so thankful, incredibly kind, and a joy to be around. This trip was unforgettable, and I will tell stories about it for the rest of my life. – Kate
                       

There are so many wonderful things that happened this week and not enough words or time to explain them all. I want to reflect on one particular thing. On out last night at Red Bird we went to their church. We heard of how the Red Bird Mission started 94 years ago and reflected on stories from the past and present. I realized that we are all apart of something truly amazing. I’ve learned that doing the little things, like putting in a floor, are what make the big picture.  Each little thing we do to help someone causes a large impact and makes something remarkable. – Susan
                       

My week at Red Bird was a truly unique experience and one that I will remember for years and years. I learned so many new skills over the course of the week. If you would have asked me to toe nail a floorboard before this trip, I would have given you an extremely confused look, but now I could actually fix it without having too much trouble. Even though the work was hard, having my fellow youth group members with me made the job much easier. I’m so glad that I got to experience this trip with people who I love so very much. This week was eye opening and wonderful in so many ways, and I’m so glad I had the chance to serve others in the name of Jesus Christ.   – Jenna
                       

What were we thinking…really? “Let’s set a SMART goal of sending 22 people to Red Bird Mission next year.” Bold? Sure! As we headed into Kentucky I had numerous flashback moments recalling the years Lois and I drove those mountains in Kentucky and on return trips from North Carolina. The trees, the “hollers”(hollows), many streams and rivers all were familiar. Sadly, as we worked together, toured together and spent time in this region of Appalachia, it dawned on me that the abject poverty we had encountered in the mid-1970’s seemed as ever-present as before. In nearly 40 years of efforts of church and other service agencies, the “progress” is merely anecdotal…a story of a family here or an individual there being lifted but the big problems of pollution, employment, and poor health still seeming to win the day. My prayer is that as more eyes are opened, more hearts and lives touched someday instead of just heavy rain and rising creeks we can see “justice roll down like a mighty stream.”  -- Howard
                       

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I agreed to come on this mission trip. I never would have dreamed of all the joy that I experienced this week. I only knew Nancy and Jenna before this trip, but now I am quite close with everybody. This is of course partially by default of having to do hard labor with them, but every single person on this trip is wonderful and welcoming. For me, community is something that I need, even if I don’t always realize it. Surrounded by these people for this week gave me a sense of a community of believers, all serving the Lord. It was a wonderful week. I helped pull up old floorboards and learned how to toenail nails into boards. I painted…and then repainted what we had just painted. I did a lot of paint taping, which is actually one of my favorite things to do. I did some cleaning for the kitchen and the laundromat. I learned how to drill in screws onto a roof. It was a very productive week, and God’s presence was evident in every action and even in the times where we were waiting for a job. I can not express my delight in coming on this mission trip surrounded by people with a servant heart for God. – Kristin 
                       

This week I helped take apart and rebuild a roof on a trailer. I enjoyed working with the group I was put in. We got a lot done faster than I expected to. The week went by really fast. My favorite part of the week was going to Cumberland Falls and getting to goof off with the other youth. I really enjoyed the week. – Jake
                       

I was impressed with the emphasis on serving God by serving others in a communal environment.  Every staff member and volunteer that I met gave me the feeling that love of God and God’s children motivated them. – Gordon
                       

Well, being the gimp that I am, I didn’t get to go to one of the “work” sites, but I actually did do some work!  Is clipping labels to get a van work?  They actually get to get VANS (YES, REAL CARS!) by turning in labels, like the UMW does with BEST CHOICE labels.  Of course, we only get $60 a year!  However, I only had to do that the first day!  The other days I worked in the craft store (and spent a BUNCH of money, BTW) and then the kitchen.  The ladies who work in the kitchen are unbelievable and work like horses – for $8 an hour!  The food was very unhealthy for the most part but very good!  We did have salads, but not a single low fat dressing in sight!  And lots of yummy desserts!

I fell in love with the place and am considering doing a long term volunteer thing.  So, pray for me as I try to discern whether that’s what God is calling me to do or not.  It would probably be in a year or so if I do go, but it’s really on my heart.  What a wonderful place.  AND ya’ll will have to forgive me my accent for a few weeks.  My “I’s” have flattened out considerably, being back close to the home country! – Linda
                       

This trip has been an amazing experience. I have learned so many new skills and met many wonderful people. I honestly had no idea what this mission trip would be like when Kate asked me to join her, but I am so glad she did. It was so cool being able to help all these people and make such a difference. At our site, we installed a tin roof and linoleum flooring. I enjoyed working with the people at my site, and it was very neat to meet and interact with the people whose home we worked on. I have made unforgettable memories on this trip, and am very thankful for this wonderful experience. – Frances
                       

I got sentenced to maintenance. I spent the days painting a house, helping clear out some rotten floorboards and building the skeleton of a deck. While I did not go out and help the people in need in the area, I grew closer to everyone on my work crew, with the possible exception of Jenna (for we were already good friends). Of especial note was Gordon. He worked hard, and was very helpful to our work effort. As far as Praise God! moments go, I avoided getting a drill bit in my left index finger by a distance of millimeters. The people I was privileged to work with, (Rachel, Molly, Jenna, Kristin, the aforementioned Gordon, Myself and Me) were incredible. All of these people, and the other ones I did not work with as directly truly do deserve our praise and respect. This includes Howard, though he did try to kill me with hot drinks and a drill. –May all who managed to stumble through this paragraph know joy and a good night’s sleep – Alex
                       

I worked on campus this week with Howard, my mom, and Susan. I feel the most satisfying feeling I experienced this week was sweeping a hardwoods floor I laid myself (with a lot of help from Howard as well) and sweeping it again after putting the trim and the quarter on it. I also loved seeing and hearing the joy Susan and my mom experienced every time they got a warped or not the best piece of wood to fit. I found this week to be a very rewarding week overall with the people who I had the privilege of getting to know better and the work I was lucky enough to do.  – Annie
                       

This was my first Mission trip ever, and it was awesome.  We did more in four work days than I could have ever imagined.  These kids are awesome and were so willing to do and try everything that needed to get done.  I had lots of fond memories over the week.  I will always remember the Kentucky countryside, the smoking mountains, and the beautiful random water falls every were I looked on the sides of the road.  I really don’t like getting my picture taken, but I found myself photo bombing all the younger teenagers’ selfies just for the fun of it.  The day off was great fun, we went to see the second largest waterfall east of the Mississippi; we also saw a movie and had a great Italian dinner.  For me personally, the last two days of work were high pressure grueling days, because we had so much to get done in such a short time period.  But everyone stepped up, we got, organized, we got the right tools, and we got the job done.  We actually did more than our original work assignment.  The people we did the work for were so happy with the work we did.  It was great to get to know Willis and Kim who are really good people put into hardship.  They offered us soft drinks and items from their garden.  My only regret was dropping not one, but two larges pieces of wood on Barb’s arms, she will have definitely a colorful tattoo for the next couple of weeks.  All in all, it was very special to have the opportunity to do God’s work, and I look forward to doing it again. -- Jack 
                       

What a blessed week from beginning to end! Who knew that driving into the tree covered mountains of Appalachia would uncover a part of God’s kingdom that my heart and mind didn’t know exists.  In just four days, I experienced the unique life and immense need of one family I was privileged to serve. Willis and Kim were kind, sweet, and humble and really appreciated all of our efforts in getting their roof and living room linoleum replaced. Jack was our fearless crew leader whose patience was never-ending, as KateFrances and I were “first-time mission trippers” and had little if any “DIY” skills at the start. As the days passed and tasks were completed, we learned so much from both Jack and Barb while gaining more confidence and camaraderie along the way.  Lunch breaks were brief, as we all were motivated to get as much accomplished for this special couple as we possibly could. Besides drilling a zillion holes into tin roofing sheets, painting soffit boards and trimming, laying and gluing the linoleum, another highlight of my time was feeling my heart grow each day with more love for this family. When we pulled into their yard, Willis typically would be sitting outside whittling and welcoming us with his smile and laugh.  His nine hunting beagles barked their greeting to us as well… usually throughout the entire day. :) One thing that caught me completely off guard was a funeral procession for a man who had been killed in a horse-riding accident earlier in the week. Barb let us know just moments before cars started driving past.  We immediately stopped working and stood on the deck and in the yard and honored them with our solemn attention. Many reached out of their cars to wave a hand, and we exchanged similar greetings to somehow demonstrate our sympathy.

Our overall mission trip team was a beautiful blend of ages, abilities, personalities and motivations… all meshed together with one common goal.  To the best of our limited human ability, we served the Red Bird Mission and the people of Clay County, Kentucky as Christ’s hands and feet for a fleeting moment.  Thank you, Lord, for removing the distractions of our regular lives and routines to bring us to this beautiful place. I know I will forever remember the people, fellowship, fun and service I was privileged to enjoy… all for your glory.

P.S. “Mr. Blinky” and “Carl” are real people we discovered during our time at Red Bird Mission. If you want to know more, ask any of us. The stories will bring a smile to your face, I promise.  – Nancy
                       

One of the projects I worked on this week was installing a hardwood floor in a closet with Susan. It was in long term volunteer housing. We used all the pieces that Howard and Annie (mostly Howard) found unacceptable. The boards were tongue and groove... some had no tongue, some were cut on both ends while others were warped. At one point we had Annie digging through the trash for more pieces. Howard said it resembled a parquet floor. We had so much fun celebrating with each success. We did the best we could with what we had. It wasn't easy but it meant so much to both of us connecting and relating it our lives.

One of my favorite devotions - to be honest every devotion was special - but I loved this reminder. “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well” Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am proud to be a 3rd Generation Red Bird. -- Janet
                       

It has been a thrill to be with this group of people.  I have seen such great work this week from every one of them in small and large tasks.  I’m so proud to call them my church family!!  The best moment this week for me was being able to experience and work along side with Molly this week.   On our last night at Red Bird, we went to the original church that Red Bird started back in the 1920’s and had our last devotion there.  It was very moving for me and I’ll never forget it. -- Rachel
                       

I was very blessed to be able to go on this trip, and be the hands and feet of The Lord, while being able to spent time with my mom and friends. I was very delighted to be able to lead devotion one night with Nancy, and share the amazing message I learned at my church camp, I'm lucky that I got the chance to share that with everyone. -- Molly
                       


What a blessing it was to serve with 16 other faithful sent by Leawood United Methodist Church to Red Bird Mission this past week.  When we left, the Bible verse that probably fit was Mark 12:29-31 where Jesus was asked about the most important commandment.  He responded  “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’  The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  There is no commandment greater than these.” We went to Red Bird Mission to live this out – loving our neighbors by being Christ’s hands and feet.  Red Bird Mission is in Clay County, Kentucky – deemed the hardest place to live in the US by a New York Times study.  The week was full of hard work, a few injuries, and good times.  Nancy mentioned the funeral procession that passed our worksite.  Bobby, our staff crew leader, told me a bit about it.  The man, who died in a riding accident, had a family but didn’t have insurance.  Even though we were serving in an area that had a lot of poverty, the community, led by several churches, came together to be sure there was a service for him.  Although this also lived out the “Love your neighbor” commandment, it also brought to mind the widow’s offering in Luke 21:1-4.  We served in an area where the people didn’t have much but we saw so many of them giving what they could – from Kim and Willis offering us cucumbers from their garden as we worked on their house, Red Bird staff that had seen Red Bird Mission touch their families and now worked for Red Bird, and the encouragement and friendliness of the other volunteers to each other.  It was humbling to see people giving what they could to help another.  It is a reminder to me to always give what I can, where I can.  It was truly a wonderful week.  I look forward to next year’s Mission Trip.  -- Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment